P&Q International Vacancies
Vacancies at P&Q
JUNIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEERS
We have several positions for both experienced and junior Software Engineers, becoming available, from January 2013 onwards.
We are extending both our company and our software, so we are seeking additional above-average people with the skills and abilities to help us extend our software into new areas.
The positions involve all aspects of Software Engineering (i.e. from analysis and design to delivery and support, not just programming, though good coding abilities are a prerequisite).
The role will primarily be business software development, with regular customer contact during analysis, delivery and support.
As well as using C/C++, the successful candidate will learn and use our 4th Generation Language, which is specifically designed to make it fast and easy to deliver robust and reliable business software for our key markets. This software runs on Windows, Unix/Linux and VMS platforms, from large multi-user Client/Server systems down to hand-held mobile computers/phones, all integrated into a seamless whole.
Part of the role will be to use C/C++ to extend the capabilities of the 4GL to utilise and/or interface with new equipment and technology.
We seek people who have recently graduated with a good degree and who have a good grasp of all aspects of Software Engineering (i.e. from analysis and design to delivery and support, not just programming, though good coding abilities are a prerequisite).
- be intelligent and creative;
- be good communicators;
- be highly proficient in C/C++;
- know at least one non-procedural language;
- take pride in producing high quality work quickly;
- be self-motivated and self-sufficient;
- be keen to extend themselves but needing a mentor not a “baby-sitter”;
- want to join a small and growing company where they can really make a difference.
NOTE: Own transport is essential (no public transport available).
To apply, please apply by email to the Software Development Manager (email@example.com), attaching your CV, which must include the following information:
- current address;
- contact phone number;
- email address;
- educational qualifications, with details of grade achieved and place of study;
- courses and subjects studied, highlighting those which particularly interest you;
- list of programming languages learnt, with current level of competence in each;
- list of analysis and design methodologies, development environments, etc learnt/used, with current level of competence in each;
- extracurricular interests, activities and achievements;
- work experience, including company names, dates worked, position(s) held and type of work done;
- current or last position, salary and availability.
Please include also:
- an example of a short program in the language you are most competent in, that you have personally written;
- an example of your work in a different aspect of software engineering.
References will be also required, but do not need to be provided at this stage.
About P&Q International
P&Q is a small but growing software development company (established 1979) specialising in various forms of real-time data collection. We provide complete solutions (software, hardware, installation, training, maintenance and support) to medium and large organisations – most of our clients are household names. We provide high quality software and support, so many of our clients have been using our systems for 15 to 25 years and more.
Our main applications are currently Data Capture, Time & Attendance, Inventory Management and Access Control. Our Q›TAR software is under continual development and we frequently need to extend the variety of fixed and mobile devices it interfaces with and/or runs on. Q›TAR is portable and runs on Windows, Unix/Linux and VMS, from large multi-user systems to vehicle-mounted and hand-held computers (including PDAs and phones).
Our underlying software is written in C and C++ for run-time speed and portability (and so we can get “down to the metal” when we need to), but we use rapid development and prototyping methods to make it quick and easy to develop and extend our business-oriented applications.
We are based near the A10/A120 junction (half-way between London and Cambridge) though part of our team is in Auckland, New Zealand.